All hands on deck
Outdoors is the new indoors.
Transform your deck or patio from drab to fab with these hot ideas from Best of Ekurhuleni winner, Builders Warehouse.
* Mix it up. Two-toned wooden decking as opposed to a solid colour will guarantee that your deck stands out from the crowd.
* Grey is the new brown. You heard it here first. Ditch the traditional wooden deck and opt for a grey hue instead.
* The heat is on. Adding a fire pit to your deck adds ambience in summer and warmth in winter. Whatever the season, it’s sure to make a statement.
* Think vertical. Plant a vertical garden to create a lush home jungle.
* Party lighting. String lights are fast becoming one of the hottest trends in outdoor lighting. Think old style café and not Christmas tree though.
* Deck care. Placing and storing your furniture under a covered patio, rather than exposed to the elements will lengthen its lifespan. Alternatively, use waterproof covers to keep the water and dirt out. Also, keep in mind that sunscreen lotion can stain plastic furniture. To avoid this, clean the surfaces with a mild soapy solution each time after use.
* Safety first. Add security elements to your deck without forfeiting its look. Recessed lighting on steps is not only a safety feature but it also adds a dramatic atmosphere.
* Get the look. Wicker furniture is extremely popular due to its durability and versatility. Add some vibrant, colourful cushions and you’re all set.
Get It South September 2017