Food & Wine
Moroccan style chicken casserole
You don’t have to be in Morocco to enjoy this Moroccan style chicken casserole.
– 1/4 cup lentils
– 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
– 1 tsp sugar
– 1 tsp ground cumin
– 1 tsp ground coriander
– 1 chicken stock cube
– 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
– 1 cinnamon stick
– 1 roughly chopped garlic clove
– 1 cup peeled butternut cubes
– 1 can peeled and chopped tomatoes
– 2 tbsp olive oil
– 4-5 cloves
– 4-6 mixed chicken pieces
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil and brown the chicken pieces for 3-4 minutes on each side then remove the chicken from the pot and set it aside.
- Microwave cook the butternut cubes in a microwave-proof dish, on high until they’re cooked through.
- Add the onions, spices, ginger and garlic to the pot you cooked the chicken in. Fry for three minutes and stir often.
- Pour in the tinned tomatoes, stock, lentils and sugar then simmer for five minutes. Return the chicken pieces to the pot and cook over low heat and uncovered until the lentils are cooked and the sauce has thickened.
Tip: serve with white rice drizzled with lemon juice.
Get It South November 2017